Lionel Messi might be soccer's best-ever player, but where d

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lionel Messi might be soccer's best-ever player, but where d Empty Lionel Messi might be soccer's best-ever player, but where d

Post by myngoc128 31/10/19, 03:22 pm

When someone who's unfamiliar or only slightly familiar with the sport of soccer asks me who is the best https://www.w88thais.com/latest-entrance-w88-mobile-android-ios/ player in the world, I tell them "well, it's Lionel Messi." Then, when they say "why?" I say "he's the best goal scorer I've ever seen, and since goals are so scarce and so valuable, scoring goals is the most important thing a soccer player can do." That's usually enough, and I'll get some kind of "OK, got it. Thanks." But then, I'll keep talking: "And he's best at creating goals for his teammates. And he's the best passer. And he's the best dribbler. And he's the best free-kick taker, too."

While my viability as a pleasant conversational companion is obviously in question, Messi's greatness is not.

In fact, his omnipotent effect on games reminds me a bit of The Great One, Wayne Gretzky. His dominance over hockey can be summed up with one line: If Gretzky had never scored a goal, he'd still be the sport's all-time leader in points. He just happens to be the sport's all-time leading goal scorer, too. Meanwhile, in Europe's Big Five leagues since 2014, Messi has scored the most goals, bagged the most assists, played the most through-balls and completed the second-most dribbles.

Lionel Messi might be soccer's best-ever player, but where d Paul-Pogba-Mino-Raiola-734617

A promotion could allow Zidane to rebuild Real Madrid
It goes beyond those numbers. Last year, a group of researchers in Belgium and the Netherlands published a paper that aimed to put a value on every on-ball action that occurs in a match. For example, they write that "an action valued at +0.05 is expected to contribute 0.05 goals in favor of the team performing the action, whereas an action valued at -0.05 is expected to yield 0.05 goals for their opponent." Their research for the 2017-18 season found Messi to be the highest-rated player in Spain w88 mobile

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the research said that most attackers produced a limited number of actions but that those actions were of high value, while midfielders did the opposite: lots of low-value actions. There was, of course, one player who excelled at both. "Lionel Messi is an outlier in the sense that he rates high on action quality and quantity at the same time." Hell, there's even a well-respected paper that suggests Messi is better at walking than everyone else, too.

So, we have to ask: Is there anything Messi isn't good at?

It's evident that Messi is not a great defender, but you already knew that. Since 2010, he has never recorded more than 23 tackles or 22 interceptions ... in an entire La Liga season. He also rarely wins back possession for his team. But part of that can be attributed to the fact that Barcelona have heavily dominated possession in the majority of the matches he has played for the club. Plus, a number of Messi's teams have been among the most effective pressing sides of the past decade, and pressing doesn't work too well if everyone on the field isn't taking part. So, he has at least been a capable member of effective, aggressive defensive units in the past.

So, he has pressed in the past, but he has barely done anything in the defensive third. Since 2010, he has cleared five balls, blocked five shots and blocked one cross -- total. But any time Messi has to actually do any of those things, there has likely been a brief systematic failure to his team's play. You want him near the opposition goal, not your own. Sure, he's probably a terrible goalkeeper, too, and any coach who plays him there is a perverted sadist, but what about the things he is supposed to do? Creating goals, dribbling and passing: Is there anything within those facets where Messi's mortality starts to shine through?

Now we're getting somewhere.

For a start, he's not a great crosser of the ball. "In the 2018-2019 Primera Division, Messi tops the charts for shots and passes and ranks second behind Vinicius Jr. for dribbles and take-ons," said Jan Van Haaren, one of the authors of the value-based paper mentioned above. "In terms of total contribution per 90 minutes from crosses, Messi ranks in the middle of the pack w88 ดีไหม ."

Last season, Messi completed just 14 of his 78 crosses, which tied for 84th and 50th in La Liga, respectively. His completion percentage of 17.9 was below the league average of 23.9%. However, crossing tends to be one of the more inefficient ways to score and if you were picking one aspect of attacking play to be average at, this would probably be it.

Van Haaren is the chief product & technology officer at SciSports, an analytics company that, among other things, uses the framework from the paper he co-wrote to rate players. Even with the middle-of-the-pack crossing, Messi might as well have been playing a different sport last season, according to the model's rating of his overall contribution compared with other wingers and midfielders:

myngoc128

http://sieuthihanquocht.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top